Speaking the Gospel to Yourself
Our Fighter Verse this week is Romans 8:1. It is one of my favorite Bible promises. If you are a Christian, or as the apostle Paul says in the verse, if you are "in Christ Jesus", it ought to be one of your favorite promises as well.
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Why does Paul say that there is "now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"? While the main answer lies in the context of the letter of Romans (including Romans 8:3!), the underying reason is because of the Gospel... the good news that our sins are forgiven. There is no condemnation for Christians because God has forgiven us in and through Jesus.
One of the things that we need to do each and every day is speak this glorious gospel to ourselves. We need to remind ourselves of who God is and what he has done in the gospel. Here is a list of some of the verses that I recommend we use as we speak the gospel to ourselves.
- Psalm 103:12 - as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
- Isaiah 43:25 - I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.
- Isaiah 53:6 - All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
- Romans 4:7–8 - Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.
- Colossians 2:13–14 - And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
- Hebrews 8:12 - For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.
- Hebrews 10:17–18 - then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.” Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.
I try to do this as part of my prayer time each day. Using Romans 8:1 and Isaiah 43:25, it sounds something like this:
"Heavenly Father, thank you that there is now no condemnation for me because I'm in Christ Jesus. Please help me live today in light of this glorious truth. Thank you that you have bloted out my transgressions for your own sake and that you do not remember my sins - you do not hold them against me any longer. There is no condemnation for me. I'm forgiven. I'm in Christ Jesus. Amen."
Why not pick one from the list and use it along with Romans 8:1 and speak the gospel to yourself as part of your prayer time. Write it on an index card and keep it someplace that you can see it and speak it to yourselve over and over again.
Tomorrow pick another verse and do the same. And then another verse the next day.
What a Wonderful Savior! What must he be like?!?!
More in Pastor-Elder Blog
June 24, 2020Read a book with me
March 18, 2020On my heart for SOMA
March 13, 2020COVID-19 Update